There are many reputable, high quality, subscription-based and open access journal publishers. These are all potential indicators of ethical publishing behaviours and the UNSW Library can help authors in making decisions about whether a journal operates in an ethical manner.
Before you submit your work to a publisher:
- check the publisher’s website and author guidelines
- check the editorial board – are members listed on the journal’s website?
- carefully read any contracts and agreements – and whether you can retain your copyright or negotiate an addendum
- ask whether the peer review process and any fees or charges are clearly outlined?
- be wary of journals that send out excessive email invitations to submit articles and to be on editorial boards